Affiliate marketing is a kind of marketing where businesses will reward affiliates based on their performance to encourage visitors to become customers via clicks or views.
Affiliates work on advertising a business’ product/service, receiving a commission when a person buys the product/service through their link. Through this method, affiliates must work hard if they are to earn a commission.
10 Affiliate Marketing Tips for Beginners – Who Are The Players In The Market?
This is a person who will set up a web page or blog to advertise a company’s product/service. How much commission a person earns is based on the amount of advertising done about the product/service.
It also depends on how acquainted people are with the blog/website and how much traffic he/she gets. The commission earned is dependent on the agreement the affiliate has with the company.
• Will they get paid if a visitor clicks on the link?
• Will they get paid when a visitor buys the product/service?
A merchant is a person who markets a product with the help of an affiliate marketer. They choose to use the affiliate market to spread the word about their product/service.
Businesses see this as a profitable option because commissions are only paid in cases of conversions. There are three types of possible conversions where businesses would pay a commission:
• Pay-Per-Click – Businesses pay affiliate marketers for any valid clicks that take place even if the click doesn’t result in a sale or lead
• Pay-Per-Load – Businesses pay affiliate marketers when an eligible action has taken place – surveys, installs, free trials, online form submission, sign-ups, etc. A free trial on a dating website is a prime example of a PPL program
• Pay-Per-Sale – Businesses pay affiliate marketers a percentage of the eligible sales. Amazon Associates is a prime example of this type of affiliate program, with people earning nearly 15 percent from certain product categories
These are individuals who carry out actions that ensure affiliate marketers are paid commissions by a business. They go to a business website and make a purchase.
In some cases, a customer will repeatedly visit a blog that may be an affiliate marketer’s for a company and is given a discount.
This discount is used to entice the customer to click on the link and buy through the webpage. However, the buyer may not even be mindful that a discount available on a product – so make it obvious.
An affiliate network works as a go-between for affiliate marketers and affiliates. It provides the website publisher access to an affiliate program that is right for their website and make money.
This helps to promote the merchant’s business.
What’s The Appeal Of Affiliate Marketers?
Businesses choose affiliate marketing for an array of reasons, including but not limited to:
• Businesses only pay when an affiliate marketer successfully converts traffic into visitors/buyers (depending on the agreement between the marketer and business). When there is no “agreed” action, businesses do not pay. This leads to a reduction in the cost of sales.
• The return-on-investment is far better than one sees with cost per impression or cost per click
• Businesses see higher recognition through the affiliate marketer’s effects to promote the brand
• Affiliate marketing ensures more people connect with the business/brand, which increases the number of partners. With an increase in partners, the brand can use them as affiliate marketers and reach even more people
• Affiliate marketers help promote and increase awareness of a business’ product or service to a larger audience
10 Affiliate Marketing Tips For Beginners
• Only sell products you have knowledge of. If you are versed in computers, don’t try to sell products on smartphones. You want people to see you as an expert in the field, and it’ll allow you to promote the business within that niche.
• Create a website. You can purchase a domain and hosting from companies like bluehost.com. As for a building your site, WordPress is considered the best for developing websites. (You can find a step-by-step guide for creating a website here)
• Do your research on the different affiliate programs before joining (here’s a few here). Many affiliates start with programs like eBay and Amazon, however, I find the commissions to low. I prefer info products on sites like Clickbank, Share-a-Sale etc. Make sure you do your research on the company. If you’re being asked to submit your credit card info, steer clear. Affiliate programs are typically free. Bear in mind that companies will ask for PayPal or banking information to pay you commissions.
• Market the products on the website, making sure to add affiliate links in the content so people can click on it. If you’re writing about the latest laptop to hit the market, you want to give them a link to check it out.
• People are visual creatures. As such, use nice-looking images and an attractive color scheme for your website.
• Be sure to produce content regularly to keep people interested and come back to your site. With an increase in website traffic, people will look at the various products you are promoting and may even purchase the product through your website.
• Use Google’s Analytical tools on the website. This provides you an idea of who is visiting your website. You can choose products that speak to them best. For instance, if the people visiting your website are between 18 and 30 years old, it may not be best to promote home decorating products. You want a product that speaks to your website’s audience.
• Use social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) to promote your website. This will help promote your website so people will visit and buy from you, which means you earn a commission for the sale.
• Create different websites for niches and target audience as you become affiliated with other programs and earn higher commissions.
• Simply put, a great affiliate program on a website with eye-catching content can lead to more visitors and traffic to the business’ website. This will translate into more sales for the business and commissions for the affiliate marketer.
Even if you’re new to affiliate marketing, you’ll quickly be bombarded with so-called Gurus pitching “secret sauce” information, hacks, potions and shortcuts… don’t buy it. THERE ARE NONE!
Truth is, it’s hard. But it you work consistently, with focus and intent, you will succeed.
That said, check out our article for getting started here.